Sunday, August 10, 2014

October: Autumn in the Air


It's starting to get chilly. I noticed because I'm now wearing thicker clothes everyday when we go out and about and I could also see the changes in the landscape of Hillsborough Park where we regularly go for a walk. The leaves are changing colours, now bright and vivid against the deep blue sky. Occasionally, a dry leaf would fall like a whirling dervish in the air just before it would fall on the ground.

My Mama took plenty of photos, of my Lola Ma and me. At one time I had to lie down in the grass and made to smile, which I did, something they seemed very pleased about so I started doing it more often now.


A Trip to London

On the first Friday of October, we took Lola to the British capital on the train (which broke down halfway through but we managed to get there eventually!). We went on a Thames river cruise, rode the Emirates cable car (and had a nappy change there) and travelled in the metro (thanks to the baby carrier it wasn't stressful). We went up the Royal Observatory in Greenwich Park, admired the treasures of The British Museum and queued to watch the dinosaur exhibition at the Natural History Museum. We had lunch at Regent's Park, took a photo outside the Buckingham Palace, strolled along St Jame's Park, walked past No.10 Downing Street and admired the facade of the Houses of Parliament. Then we watched the sun go down over the Thames before heading back home before midnight on Saturday. I was exhausted but greatly stimulated!


Chatsworth House in Autumn

Straight from London, we went to Chatsworth House in Bakewell on the bus. It took us less than an hour to get there, taking in the beautiful view of the countryside from a double-decker. There was an annual sculpture exhibition on display in the garden and that's where we roamed around while Lola Ma explored the inside of the stately home that's been featured in a number of films and TV dramas.


At the Botanical Gardens

Back in Sheffield, we spent a day at the Botanical Gardens. It's always a magical place in autumn when the grounds are blanketed by colourful leaves and busy squirrels scampering about for food to top up their stash for the long winter ahead. I love the sound of the water from the fountain too and there are plenty of children playing around to keep my senses alert.


Visiting Leeds

We also got on the train to Leeds, to visit Tita Ciara, a family friend from the Philippines who is doing a Masters there. We went around museums and then walked around the shopping district including the Victoria Quarter, a very beautiful shopping centre with upmarket shops.


Chesterfield and the Monsal Trail

One weekend, we went to Chesterfield for the Saturday open air market, one of the biggest in the country. We picked up vegetables from the stalls (cheaper than Tesco's of course!) and got Daddy a new leather wallet for £5. While we were there, we also went inside the church with the crooked spire of which the city is synonymous with.


On our way back, we stopped at Hassop Station cafe for a cup of tea and scones (my Mama's sweet addiction). Fully refreshed, my parents decided to walk the Monsal Trail which felt a bit bumpy and made me fall asleep while cyclists, walkers and horse riders went past. We walked through a tunnel and emerged at the gorge in Monsal Head, looking up the viewpoint where we have been in August. The walk back was exhausting, the return journey took us a good three hours!

Halloween!

Daddy carved my first pumpkin this year, just before Lola Ma flies back home. Mama made a pumpkin pie too. But we had no trick-or-treaters knocking on our doors, that famous American tradition has not been embraced in our neighbourhood. Which is just as well, it always rains on Halloween!


My Own Bed, at Last!

I finally had my own comfortable bed, a present from my Auntie Mel and Uncle Paul (more freebies!). It's still in my parents' room but at least it's more comfortable than the moses basket that I so dislike. I've been settling myself to sleep for awhile now but being surrounded by animal friends - owls, cats, dogs and foxes - that my Lola made for me has been comforting. Plus I now have a musical forest dangling above me and playing classical music to help me doze off. It was bought from a voucher Daddy got for answering research survey!)


Manchester and Good-bye

After three months in Britain, Lola Ma flew back to the Philippines before the end of the month. We've had a lot of fun times together and I knew I was going to miss her, I still do.  We drove to Manchester, walked around the city centre and then took her to the airport for her long-haul flight back home. I wish I can visit her soon.


So it's been another busy month but I'm not complaining. I enjoy my active lifestyle, it keeps Mama fit and me happy with the fresh air and exciting things to see around me! Til next month!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...