Friday, January 23, 2015

I'm Raising a Bilingual Child



The first time Isaac demonstrated an understanding of my mother tongue, I was completely beside myself. I was not only fascinated by his ability to learn a language that no one else around him speaks but I was also a little proud of myself, for persevering with the daunting task of ensuring that my little boy will be able to embrace his multicultural identity by being able to connect with his heritage and history in the most natural way.

My husband John is half-English and half-Turkish but does not speak the language, something he had been disappointed about. So I have always hoped that we could bring up a child who would be able to speak and understand Tagalog, the national language of the Philippines where I came from. Before I was able to appreciate what this desire would require of me, I had been (like most people where I came from) disappointed to meet Filipino children brought up abroad who cannot speak their parents' first language. And when I eventually met a Spanish friend in Britain whose children are bilingual, I became more determined to give my child the same gift.

It was easier said than done. Before we had Isaac, we lived in a monolingual household and although my husband and I have been learning Spanish on-off, it wasn't the language by which we communicate. Unlike most Filipinos abroad, I have very little contact with other Filipinos in my community that unless I am on Skype with my family or friends, I didn't have any opportunity to use my language. This lack of practice was what made the task a little harder as I had to consciously make an effort to communicate with my little child, who at first is unable to show any signs of comprehension, in a language that I am getting rusty at.

But perseverance brings rewarding results. At nearly 1.5 years, our little man has been throwing words around in both languages which includes his favourite expressions 'Oh dear!' and 'la na' (no more) although at times he displays preference for one language over another for particular words or activities. Every new word spoken and eventually mastered always bring an unexpected pleasure and a stronger motivation to keep on with what we have started.

I am no expert in linguistics and there is a wealth of information online and from experts about raising a bilingual child but these are just some of the things that helped us in our journey:

Start early. Children's brains are like sponges and they learn languages by absorbing those sounds they hear on a consistent basis. So the more you talk to them and the earlier, the better.

I've started talking to Isaac in Tagalog as soon as he was born and I have discovered that it was the consistency that is helping him associate the words with the object or task. For example, when dinner is ready, I have always said 'kain' (eat) when pulling his high chair out. Nowadays, when I say kain, he would automatically do this himself and climb up on the chair.

One person, one language (APOL). There are many different ways to introduce a second language to your child and we have been advised to use the APOL method like my friend had successfully done. Once you've chosen one, stick to it.

I talk to Isaac purely in Tagalog and his dad talks to him in English and he has been coping well at both. When I'm the one who puts him to bed, he asks for 'gatas' (milk) and when his daddy plays with him he squeals "up, down". When John asks "Where's shoes?", he presents it to him saying "shoes" likewise when I tell him 'suot' (wear, a word he associates with putting shoes on), he gives me his shoes.

Talk, talk, talk. Studies show that parents who engage in one-in-one conversations with their children are much more likely to help their children's language development. I have discovered that when I teach Isaac a new word by meeting his eyes, he is more likely to copy it and after repetition, remembers it. He also picks up random words from conversations, most notably his now famous 'Oh dear!' expression. Talking to him while doing everyday chores also helps with his language acquisition.

Sing plenty of songs, read a lot of stories. Learning another language should be fun and there's no more fun for a child than singing and dancing. Since taking on this project, I have also rediscovered the joys of my childhood through the nursery songs that I have nearly forgotten and that I now sing to my little boy. It gives me pleasure that whenever I sing to him the Tagalog crab song ('Tong, tong, tong pakitong-kitong') he responds by singing the bit of the lyrics he can copy while dancing and pointing at his knees just like I have done when we started practicing the song.

Involve your nursery. I must admit this one wasn't my idea but it had been very helpful to us. We are so lucky that our nursery supports children who are learning to be bilingual and they have encouraged us to make a scrapbook that Isaac can use at nursery with the Tagalog words that he understands and says. At nursery they repeat these words to him and we have been told of how well he has been responding and using it too. But he apparently looks at his carers with fascination every time they attempt to say a word that he seems to know only his mummy uses.

Talk to relatives and friends in the minority language. When we are on Skype with my family, I encourage them to talk to Isaac in Tagalog and sing to him nursery rhymes in our language. It makes them smile whenever he responds but it also makes him more exposed to the language therefore helping him become more comfortable with it. Of course visiting the Philippines where he can actually practice the language would be essential but because we can't afford it yet, he'll just have to be content with his weekly sessions with his virtual family.

Be committed. Raising a bilingual child takes some effort, creativity and commitment amongst other things. But studies have shown that bilingualism has numerous cognitive and social benefits compared to speaking only one language. If you have the time and the patience, it is certainly a gift worth giving your child.

For some great advice on raising bilingual children, go to the experts:
How to Fail Miserably at Raising a Bilingual Child
My Best Tips for Raising a Bilingual Child 
Bringing Up a Bilingual Child
Raising a Bilingual Child
On Raising Bilingual Children

Are you also raising a bilingual child? We would love to find out what it is like for you! Are you also a Filipino expat trying to teach your child our native language? Let us know what your favourite nursery rhymes and activities are, we would love to try them too!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...